Set the scene. Valentine’s Day has passed and you just watched all of your favorite Meg Ryan romances. From Sleepless in Seattle to You’ve Got Mail, you’re considering dropping everything to become a writer in hopes that your very own Tom Hanks will find you.
While the chances of that happening are slim, reenacting your favorite movie scenes in the places they were shot may fare a better chance. If you’re a vina living in New York City, you share the same home as just about every romantic film you can think of. So why not go live out your own romance for yourself?
You’ve Got Mail (1998)
Starring Meg Ryan as Kathleen Kelly and Tom Hanks as Joe Fox, this film fixated on a 90s version of Tinder is a classic. Shot almost entirely on the Upper West Side, New York vinas can visit the small bookshop Kathleen owned, which is now a cleaners, to the cafe where Kathleen nearly got stood-up by Joe.
- Kathleen Kelly’s Townhome: 328 W 89th St. (Manhattan)
- Fox Books: 115 7th Ave. (Manhattan)
- The Shop Around the Corner: 106 W 69th St. (Manhattan)
- Cafe Lalo: 201 W 83rd St. (Manhattan)
This film gave us the romance we didn’t know we needed between Loretta Castorini, played by Cher, and her fiancé’s brother, Ronny Cammareri, played by Nicolas Cage. After an initial meeting that was the least bit eloquent, Loretta’s fiancé becomes an outlier in her love life.
- Castorini Townhouse: 19 Cranberry Street (Brooklyn)
- Cammareri Bros Bakery: 502 Henry St. (Brooklyn)
- Grand Ticino: 284 W 12th St. (Manhattan)
When Harry Met Sally (1989)
No relationship screams “it’s complicated” like the one between Harry Burns, portrayed by Billy Crystal, and Sally Albright, portrayed by Meg Ryan. The pair’s romance, or lack thereof, had a rocky start and their coupling was but the least bit predictable outside of the film’s title. Nonetheless, the pair ventured all around New York City in some notable, and others more subtle, locations that a vina must check out!
- Katz’s Delicatessen: 205 E Houston St. (Manhattan)
- Jess and Marie’s Townhome: 32 W 89th St. (Manhattan)
- Washington Square Park: Washington Sq. North & 5th Ave. (Manhattan)
While there are numerous places you and your vina gang can visit, this is just a start! Spice up your 9 to 5 life and live vicariously through some of your favorite characters.
Want to find vinas in NYC to scope out these scenes? Start swiping on the Hey! VINA app right now!