We all know sleep is essential for the body. However, it is restorative sleep that is the most important. Sleep helps us recharge. Without it, our cells wouldn’t regenerate and our immune system would be depleted. Not to mention that your thyroid would also suffer, which is in charge of steroids and adrenaline, resulting in less energy and imbalanced hormones. If you experience sleep problems, I’d suggest going to your doctor and getting a blood test. You could be deficient in minerals and vitamins, so it is best to focus on fixing the root of the problem instead of sleeping pills, which are short-term solutions.
- Magnesium helps prevent sleep disturbances.
- Teas: chamomile, passion flower and valerian teas can all help reduce stress and prep you for a good night’s rest.
- Banana tea: banana peels are rich in potassium and magnesium (great to help relax muscles). Boil a banana: cut both ends of the banana then boil it in water for eight to 10 minutes. Add a bit of cinnamon.
- Melatonin: a hormone that tells your body when it’s time to sleep and wake up. It’s best to surround yourself with natural light when you wake up to train your brain. Melatonin supplements are available over-the-counter. It’s best to aim for one to five mg. However, do not use them excessively and longer for a month without consulting your doctor.
- Avoid sugary foods and refined carbs before going to bed, the sugar will keep you up.
- Vitamins: vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc and iron help promote deep sleep.
- 5-HTP: a good supplement to replenish the serotonin we lose as we age. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter Once again, do not use it long-term. 5-HTP is a naturally occurring chemical in the body. Supplemental 5-HTP is an African herb that is made from L-tryptophan (amino acids).
- Milk: warm milk (or almond milk or soy milk) with honey helps.
Hope you find this helpful and get better sleep!
One of the best ways to find solutions to common problems like this is to talk to friends and hear about what they’ve found helps them. Find your new besties on Hey! VINA today to talk about everything from the best brunch places in town to the best sleep remedies.