Happy (almost) 2017 vinas! Whether you’re a fan of New Year’s Resolutions or not, I’m sure you’ve got a goal or two you are looking to achieve in 2017… you #bossbabe you 😉
Make sure you’re setting yourself up for success and smashing those 2017 goals using some of my favorite tips.
1.REFLECT ON 2016
Take some time to journal and collect your thoughts on the past year. What were the highs? What were the lows? Did you follow through on the goals you set out for yourself? If not, what got in your way?
2. CREATE A VISION BOARD
Ok I know this idea is a little new-agey but it WORKS. I’m serious… I’m a BIG believer that what you put out into the universe has a way of coming back to you. When I was in college in Boston (many years ago…), I created a vision board. On the board I had a picture of a boss babe (I wanted to own my own business), a Dubai landmark (I have always wanted to go there), a picture of the state of California (I knew I wanted to live there), and a handsome dude.
Well? I currently live in California, started my own biz, visited Dubai last year and I have a wonderful man in my life. Okay, okay, wait –let me preface this by saying…this didn’t happen overnight. In fact, it happened over the course of many years, and there were tons of hard times along the way (i.e. two lay-offs, heartbreak, and a loss of friendships, just to name a few), but the important thing is I kept believing and trusting the process.
I am a firm believer that we are the creators of our own destiny and the more you “put out” what you want in your life, the higher probability that it will come back. Plus, creating a vision board is such a fun project (psst – and a great one to do with a vina!).
3. COMMIT: SET AND FOLLOW THROUGH ON YOUR GOALS
- Wellness goals: Fitness? Nutrition? Spiritual?
- Career/business goals: Promotion? Pay raise? Start your own business? Education?
- Friendship goals: Make new friends? Nurture current friendships? Spend more time with your vinas?
- Self improvement: Learn a new skill? Travel to a new destination? Read more books?
4. GET TACTICAL
First ask yourself:
- When do you want to reach your goal by?
- What habit needs to happen every month so that you reach your goal?
- What habit needs to happen each week to make that “thing” happen each month?
- What habit needs to happen each day to make that thing happen each month?
For example, let’s say your goal is to learn how to cook in 2017 (thank God my boyfriend doesn’t read this).
- Goal: Learn how to cook in 2017.
- (Habit) Every month: Commit to cooking for someone else 1x per month.
- (Habit) Every week: Commit to cooking 3-5 meals at home from the recipes you collected.
- (Habit) Everyday: Spend 5 minutes collecting new recipes.
Consistent action through habits is the key to reaching your goals and to making the intangible into tangible.
5. CHECK IN ON YOURSELF
- Are you on track? If you are, celebrate! If not, what is holding you back?
- Do your goals feel *right* to you at this point in your life? If it doesn’t feel like the right time for this goal, or if it just feels wrong, get rid of it! It’s one thing to hold yourself accountable to goals you truly want, but it’s perfectly fine to nix the ones that just don’t serve you.
- Do you have a new goal you want to add? Perhaps you realized you have a genuine interest to learn to code or learn a new language. If that’s the case, go for it!
What are your goals for 2017? Tweet us at @ilikevina or comment below!
(feature image via @rooihome)