Whenever anyone says twinning I imagine those twins in the hallway of The Shining and let me tell you, it’s not that far off. A case of twinning might sound cute and sometimes it is from afar, but the danger of losing yourself in a bestie is just as real as a romantic partner. We’re all for sharing things with your vinas, but make sure you’re not sacrificing your personal style and personality to be exactly like your friends! Trust us, you’re great the way you are.
HOW TO IDENTIFY IF YOU’RE SUFFERING FROM A CASE OF TWINNING:
- You literally buy all of the same clothing.
- You don’t remember the last evening you spent apart.
- Things you used to like you no longer like or take part in because they don’t, your taste has morphed into one.
- There is a creeping sense of anxiety if one of you does something without the other or goes on a long trip. You’re at loss with how to spend your time
- You’ve started to look alike, same haircut, same facial expressions like those people how look really similar to their dogs.
This is way more common than you’d think. We often befriend people like us because it’s easy, but it’s imperative that you cut the umbilical cord in order to save the friendship. Because a serious case of twinning can lead quickly to a burnout.
WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT:
Each of you pick a new thing or hobby that is entirely your own. You have to do it alone. This will help you solidify your own sense of self and make you a better friend when you are together.
Cultivate something new about your style. This doesn’t mean you have to change, but the slightest variation will provide a sense of physical independence and therefore an emotional one. Start wearing a bandana all the time or get bangs. Make it clear that this is your thing, in like the sweetest way possible.
Talk about it. It’s funny how most problems in life can be easily addressed by some honest and open communication. Put it out there on the table and see how you both feel about it. While it might not seem like this bothers either of you, I’ll bet good money there are certain aspects of it that aren’t the healthiest way to maintain a friendship.
Consider this a bestie diet. Because like all diets, it’s not easy, but you will feel better afterwards. This I can promise.
Have you and a vina suffered from major twinning? Tell us in the comments!
(Feature image via Daily Mail)