Say hey to Cheap vs. Treat, a VINAZINE series where we offer wallet-friendly and over-the-top vina-date ideas. Itching to treat yo’self or wanting to be as thrifty as possible? We have a vina-date for you. Tweet us your idea for a Cheap vs. Treat at @ilikevina!
Movie night is pretty much my favorite kind of night so I’d like to think I’m a really good authority on how to do this proper. I’ll break it down for you into four simple categories. First step though, grab a vina.
AT HOME: CHEAP
Classic choice really. This might look like any other Thursday night if you’re coming over to my house. But there are a few things you can do to make it more of an event.
- It might sound silly but select the movies ahead of time. There is nothing worse than the dreaded Netflix scroll. And now that I mention that, get Netflix. It’s the cheapest and best way to have a zillion movies at your disposal.
- Set up a living room cozy zone with all your pillows and blankets like it’s a 4th grade sleepover.
- At home snacks. Run to the grocery store (my personal fave is Trader Joes) and get a bunch of pre-made, oven-ready snacks like those tasty stuffed button mushrooms or a veggie pizza. This way you won’t have to spend time in the kitchen when where you really belong is on the couch.
- La Croix (I swear I should be sponsored I endorse this beverage so much) and a cheapish bottle of wine. Once again, Trader Joes wins for their killer selection of good wine under ten dollars…or under three.
- Chocolate bars and fruit. No movie is complete without some sweets. Get a few different kinds of chocolate bars and throw them in the freezer beforehand. Smash them up in to chunks and plate them with your fave berry.
AT HOME: TREAT
- Amazon Prime is where it’s at for all the new new movies. You can rent movies that were just in the theater recently and watch them from the comfort of your couch. They’ll run you almost the same price as a movie ticket sometimes.
- If you’ve got a great outdoor space, buy a projector and you can either set up a white sheet, use the side of the house, or buy a screen and turn your backyard into an at-home theater.
- Don’t even step foot in the kitchen. Order a full smorgasbord from your fave local restaurant and have one of those nifty apps deliver it right to your couch. For real, one time I added in the instructions for the driver to come in my house and bring it to the couch. Not my finest hour, or maybe the finest ever. I’m not sure.
- La Croix (still) obvi, but spring for some nice bottles of wine that make you close your eyes and whisk you away to foreign shores. If you want to be really particular about it, choose some movies set overseas and then buy wines that directly correlate to their location.
- This takes a little preplanning, but swing by a local bakery or at the very best, a macaroon shop and stock up on an assortment of sweets. Just one or two bites of a bunch of different chocolates and cookies. It’s fun when you have a lot of different ones to try. Plus, with that wine. Yaaaassss!
OUT AND ABOUT: CHEAP
- At a young age my dad taught me how to do this. We used to go to a matinee and then skip between theaters all day, only paying for one ticket but watching like three movies in a row. It’s probably why I’m so into movies now. Thanks dad. I’m not saying cheat the system, but you know.
- Go to day show or a dollar theater. It’s crazy how pricey movie tickets are these days. Chances are there is a cheap theater near you, sometimes Tuesdays are a good day to scope it out. I don’t know why but it always seems to be dollar night.
- Gas station pit stop beforehand. Bring your largest purse and stock it full of snacks candy, chips, carrot sticks, whatever you’re into. Movie theaters are like Disney Land they can charge whatever they want. I used to date a guy who would put a tall can of beer in the leg of his pants and drink that. Ha.
OUT AND ABOUT: TREAT
- There are theaters now that are like mini spas. They have everything, all-inclusive, and right at your fingertips. They also have crazy plush seating, reclining chairs, waiters, the works. Find one of these amazing theaters and go prepared to treat yourself. Get the good seats and order everything from drinks to dinner right to your seat. You never have to lift a finger. It’s sort of incredible.
There you have it. Don’t say I never did anything for you. Happy viewing vinas!!!
(Feature image via @Bl-on-de)