College Life Psych Thrive

THIS JUST IN: COLLEGE STUDENTS ARE USING DATING APPS TO MEET FRIENDS (DUH)

In a not-so-surprising twist, it turns out that college students are using apps meant for romantic dating to meet platonic friends. Obviously, here at VINA, we’re not surprised. We recognized early the need for a friendship app (hello, Hey! Vina) becauseĀ not so long ago, it just didn’t exist.

Before Hey! Vina existed, our very own CEO and co-founder Olivia tried to use apps like OkCupid to meet girl-friends when she moved to San Francisco. She was met with everything from “I’m not a lesbian!” to women admitting that they were also using the app for the same reason. That’s when Olivia realized that there was a need for an app designed specifically for women to meet friends. But not everyone has caught on.

A recent studyĀ reported that 53% of the college students surveyed are using dating appsĀ for meeting friends (with the other 47% looking for romantic relationships or hook-ups). Now, there’s nothing wrong with using dating apps for finding a hook-up or your next bae. But when trying to meet platonic friends, it can cause a bit of confusion. On most dating apps, there’s a focus on physical appearance and attraction and not as much focus on personality and interests.

Plus, when everyone’s intentions are different and unclear (friendship vs. hooking up vs. relationships), one or more parties stand to get their feelings hurt.Ā The technology of dating apps isn’t built for discovering people who you could form strong friendships with.

desasdfdsa

For all you collegiate babes, there’s a way better way to meet friends and form lasting, deep connections.Ā Save romantic relationships for the TindersĀ of the world, and head on over to Hey! Vina to find your new bestie. We use personality quizzes, education and career information, and interest-based questions to make it easier to find galsĀ who you’ll click with.

We encourage meeting up with your matches right away – so you can know immediately if she’s going to be your new vina! Unlike romantic dating, there’s no pheromones or sexual chemistry to add into the mix – we always say: “If you’re friends on paper, you’ll be friends IRL.” So forget the pressure, and go find your new vina!

Have you triedĀ dating apps to meet friends? Let us know your experiences in the comments!

(Featured image via brandyusa.tumblr.com)

Editorial @ VINA; lover of film, music made in bedrooms, art, and intersectional feminism; and harboring a (not so) secret weakness for reality TV and the color pink šŸ’žšŸ’˜. If I'm M.I.A. you'll probably be able to find me staring at an Ellsworth Kelly at SFMOMA or taking in the ocean breeze at Land's End.

1 comment on “THIS JUST IN: COLLEGE STUDENTS ARE USING DATING APPS TO MEET FRIENDS (DUH)

  1. Pingback: MEETING YOUR BEST FRIEND’S BFF – The VINAZINE

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: